How can you afford Higher Education?
If you are studying a Full Time HNC, HND or Foundation Degree course at one of our campuses, you may apply to the Student Loans Company for a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan or other specialist support (Quick Finance Guide for more information).
If you are studying as a Part-Time student, you may apply for the Tuition Fee Loan only.
What can HE student’s access at The Bedford College Group?
- ‘Access to Learning Fund’ is available from Student Services once you are enrolled on your course – this is a hardship fund designed to support you to stay on your course until completion. It is not available to all students and considered on a case by case basis.
Useful links, resources & tools
- Student Finance Calculator: This is a useful tool to work out how much you can get based on your personal circumstances:
- Student Finance England: Main source of HE Finance information.
- The Student Room also has lots of useful information
Introduction to student finance
The PowerPoint below also contains information on the financial support available from Student Finance England, the application process and student loan repayments for students starting their Higher Education course from September 2022
Different Types of Support Available for Higher Education
Tuition Fee Loan
- Non means-tested loan of up to £9,250 to cover Tuition Fees
- Paid directly to the university or college
Living Cost Loan
- Part means-tested (65% non-income assessed and 35% income assessed)
- Different loan rates depending on where you are living and studying
Disabled Students’ Allowance
- Non-repayable, non-means tested support to help with additional costs you may have due to a disability, chronic health condition or learning difficulty.
Support for students with children
- Non-repayable, means tested support
- Parents’ Learning Allowance
- Childcare Grant
- ‘Access to learning Fund’ from Institutions when enrolled and experiencing financial hardship
- Institution’s own specific bursaries and loans.
See Student Finance England’s finance guide for more information on the support available, applications and repayments.Find out more